Joe Lstiburek Is the Devil!
OK, here's the deal. I've been here at Building Science Summer Camp for more than two days now. This is Joe Lstiburek's baby. It's his club. He created it, just as he created his rock star status and the reputation of Building Science Corporation as the number one place to go for good info on — yeah, that's right — building science.
But, as the title of this post says, I'm now convinced that Joe Lstiburek is the devil. I spent two hours with him and about twenty other summer campers in his encapsulated crawl space this evening, and it's true. Here are 10 reasons why.
- His name has too many consonants too close to each other.
- His car gets 11 miles per gallon.
- His political beliefs, while strongly held and admirable in some ways, limit his thinking in others. (But whose don't?)
- He can't say anything without $#*!ing up his language with profanity.
- He had to bring a lawyer with him down into his crawl space to tell us what we can and cannot repeat from the Twitterview we held tonight. (Or was that to protect him from himself? Or just a show? Or did I imagine it?)
- He doesn't really see the big picture on the issue of growth.
- He tries hard to offend as many people as possible.
- He's un-American. (Well, OK, he's not a US American if you really want to get picky about it. Canada is in North America, which technically qualifies him as American.)
- He had to do a deep energy retrofit of his deep energy retrofit because ants were living in the foam board insulation in part of his house. (But he was big enough to admit the mistakes he made 16 years ago, even before the statute of limitations ran out!)
- But the real reason is that he knows the details of building science and construction methods that work better than just about anybody else in the world. (Do I really need to tell you where the devil is? Come on!)
The really good thing about Joe is that he has a goddess, his wife, Betsy Petit, to balance his devilishness. She's wonderful, and I hope to get to hang out with her more at future events. The other good thing is that he's damn smart and knows how to throw a hell of a party where most of us walk away not only with a hangover but also a lot more knowledgeable, too, because he's got the ability to gather some of the smartest people in the world of building science all in one place — his house, which is pretty amazing.
Thanks, Joe! I'm not into devil worshiping or anything like that, but I certainly appreciate the value of a good devil who stirs things up and makes the rest of us think. And that thing I said about how I don't need no stinkin' Building Science Summer Camp...well, thanks for looking past the title and inviting me, even if I wasn't the woman you thought I was. (But I am in Who's Who of American Women!)
Photo of Joe Lstiburek by Peter Troast of Energy Circle, taken during the Twitter interview of Joe in his crawl space on 2 August 2011. See Peter's writeup: The 3rd Annual Uncensored Twitterview with Joe Lstiburek.