HERS Rater Class Details
The class is divided into two phases, as described below. We've set up the class so that you'll spend minimal time listening to instructors lecture and maximum time in various learning activities. That's because both research and common sense show that people learn best by doing.
Everything about the Energy Vanguard HERS rater class is designed with your success in mind. Most likely, you'll walk out of the class with your training certificate in hand, ready to sign up with a HERS rating provider.
Phase I: Online training. This part will cover:
- Blower door testing
- Duct leakage testing
- Building science fundamentals
- Combustion safety
- Intro to HERS and energy modeling
Phase II: In-class training (Sun-Fri). This part includes:
- Building science
- HERS standards and protocols
- Combustion safety testing
- Home energy rating software
- Two field visits
- Completion of two required home energy ratings
- Programs (e.g., ENERGY STAR, Building America, Passive House...)
- Business models
- National rater test, 3 attempts, if needed (Registration fee covers the first two attempts only.)
- Combustion safety multiple choice test (Registration fee covers first attempt.)
- Combustion safety simulation test (Registration fee covers first attempt.)
- Sun - 2:00 - 6:00
- Mon-Fri - 8:00 - 5:30
What You'll Need
- Laptop computer with Windows operating system
- The latest version of REM/Rate, the home energy rating software we use
- Residential Energy by John Krigger
- Calculator with square root function
- Tape (or laser) measure
- Clothes appropriate for field inspections
To complete all requirements of the HERS rater training, as specified in the HERS Standards, each student must:
- Pass the field training requirements.
- Pass the national rater test.
- Pass the combustion safety multiple choice test.
- Pass the combustion safety simulation test.
- Complete two home energy ratings "in the presence of a trainer." One of the ratings must be a "confirmed" rating from field data obtained by the student.
- $1825 for the complete 8 day class if you register at least a month ahead
- $1975 if you register within a month of the start date
New! You can finance the cost for this class with PayPal's No Payments, No Interest for 6 Months deal. Click the link to the left to find out more.