The whole class goes for 8 days, divided into two phases, as described below. We've set up the class so that you'll spend minimal time listening to instructors lecture and maximum time in various learning activities. That's because both research and common sense show that people learn best by doing.
Everything about the Energy Vanguard HERS rater class is designed with your success in mind. Since the HERS rater test is difficult, you'll have three attempts to pass it - at no extra charge! Most likely, you'll walk out of the class at the end of the 8 days with your training certificate in hand, ready to sign up with a HERS rating provider.
Phase I: Days 1 - 3 (Wed-Fri) cover:
- Blower Door testing
- Duct leakage testing
- Building science basics
- Intro to HERS and energy modeling
Phase II: Days 4 - 8 (Mon-Fri, week 2) cover:
- Building science
- HERS standards and protocols
- Home energy rating software
- Completion of two required home energy ratings
- Programs (e.g., ENERGY STAR, Building America, Passive House...)
- Business models
- National rater test, 3 attempts, if needed (Registration fee covers the first two attempts only.)
What You'll Need
- Laptop computer with Windows (XP or 7)
- The latest version of REM/Rate, the home energy rating software we use
- Residential Energy by Krigger & Dorsi
- Calculator with square root function
- Tape (or laser) measure
- Clothes appropriate for field inspections
To complete all requirements of the HERS rater training, as specified in the HERS Standards, each student must:
- Demonstrate pressure testing proficiency.
- Pass the national rater test.
- Complete two home energy ratings "in the presence of a trainer." One of the ratings must be a "confirmed" rating from field data obtained by the student.
To complete the requirements to be a Duct & Envelope Tightness (DET) Verifier, each student must:
- Pass a written test.
- Pass a field test.
- $1775 for the complete 8 day class if you register at least a month ahead
- $1875 if you register within a month of the start date
New! You can finance the cost for this class with PayPal's No Payments, No Interest for 6 Months deal. Click the link to the left to find out more.