A home energy rating (often called a HERS rating) is an official analysis of a home's energy performance that includes the following:
- Assessment of building components
- Performance testing (Blower Door & Duct Blaster)
- Energy modeling with accredited software tool (such as REM/Rate or EnergyGuage)
A certified home energy rating is used to qualify new homes for the ENERGY STAR label and Energy Efficient Mortgages (EEM's). It also produces a number, called the HERS Index, that compares a home's energy performance to the performance of the same home built to exactly meet the energy code.
Here's more information about home energy ratings, home energy raters, and other topics from HERS world.
- Home energy rating (HERS) lingo
- What is a home energy rating?
- How does one become a HERS rater? [pdf]
[Items in bold indicate links to other Energy Vanguard pages. Items in normal type indicate external links.]