This page is filled with tools, equipment, and books we like. We’ve used most of the items listed here, but a few are here because we know others in the residential building science field who have used them. We’ve provided affiliate links below, which means you pay the same price you would pay normally, but Energy Vanguard gets a small commission if you buy after using the link. For some of the items, you’ll find links to related articles in the Energy Vanguard Blog.
Great company! Great people! This small business is based in Pennsylvania and focuses on the HVAC and home performance markets. Here are a few of their great products.
Sylvane is the online source for Santa Fe and Ultra-Aire dehumidifiers from Therma-Stor. Yes, these dehumidifiers are more expensive than the standalone dehumidifiers, but they use half the energy, last longer, and can serve larger areas. Plus, they’re made in America!
- Ultra-Aire dehumidifiers – made to serve conditioned space, easily ducted
- Santa Fe dehumidifiers – made to go in crawl spaces and basements, limited capability for ducting
- All dehumidifiers & accessories – room dehumidifiers (smaller capacity, lower efficiency, lower cost), filters, etc.
Indoor Air Quality
- Awair Element IAQ Monitor
- Corentium Home Radon Detector by Airthings 223
- Aranet 4 CO2 monitor
- MERV-13 filters
- DIY high-MERV portable air cleaner components: 20″ box fan and 20x20x2 MERV-13 filters. See this article for instructions: How to Make a High-MERV DIY Portable Air Cleaner
- More IAQ monitors
- Emporia Vue smart home energy monitor
- Emporia smart plug
- Amir hygrometer with 3 external sensors
- Ambient Weather WS-3000-X5 Thermo-Hygrometer
Ventilation & air flow
- Panasonic FV-0511VQ1 WhisperCeiling DC Ventilation Fan. See this article for more info on how to use this in a spray foam encapsulated attic: Can an Exhaust Fan Control Humidity in a Spray Foam Attic?
- Tamarack Perfect Balance Return Air Pathway. See this article for more info: An Easy Retrofit for Return Air From Bedrooms
- Panasonic FV-10VE2 Intelli-Balance 100 Balanced Air Solution ERV, 50-100 CFM, Temperate Climate
- Filter pressure drop monitoring setup: Dwyer Minihelic Pressure Gauge, 0-0.5 iwc plus static pressure probe for 3/16″ ID tubing plus 3/16″ ID tubing. See this article for more info: How Often Should You Change the HVAC Filter?
- Buildings Don’t Lie by Henry Gifford
- Water in Buildings by William Rose
- Healthy Buildings by Joseph Allen & John Macomber
HVAC design manuals from the Air Conditioning Contractors of America
Other products and companies
Vent Caps for duct leakage testing (from Vent Cap Systems). If you test ducts, these will pay for themselves in time and tape.
- Energy recovery ventilators (ERV) from Zehnder
- Energy recovery ventilators from Renewaire
- Energy recovery ventilators from Broan (especially the AI series)
- Conditioning ERV (CERV2) from Build Equinox